The 2nd Sunday Breastfeeding Medicine Case Discussion Series
This series, scheduled for 1 hour on the second Sunday of each month, is designed for individuals who currently practice breastfeeding medicine, or are new to the field, and are interested in gaining clinical skills in breastfeeding medicine. Each session will award 1 CME and 1 CERP. To accommodate international attendance, we are varying the times. No experience is necessary to participate, we welcome all learners!
Each webinar will host a presenter who will lead a discussion on a breastfeeding medicine topic centered around a clinical case. This learning format will allow participants to share their experiences and ideas on strategies to evaluate, diagnose, and /or manage various complex breastfeeding medicine problems.
If you are a physician, researcher or other medical provider (nurse practitioner, physician assistant, midwife, dentist, or a student of these professions), you are invited to submit a clinical breastfeeding medicine case that would be of interest to those who either practice or have an interest in breastfeeding medicine, and want to learn more. We encourage presenters to share cases that are interesting, unusual, complex and/or controversial regarding presentation, diagnosis, treatment, or coordination of care.
Register for Upcoming Case Discussions
November 14th, 2021: Insufficient Milk Supply Due to Retained Placenta
December 11th, 2021: Special Event - The Medical Management of Nipple/Breast Wounds During Lactation
December 12th, 2021: A Case of Caring for an LGBTQ+ Couple Who Desire to Provide Breastmilk for Their Daughter
January 9th, 2022: Coding and Billing
Case Submission Process
Details regarding each case presentation include the following:
- Each presenter will be given an hour for case presentation. The format for each hour is as follows:
- 10 min for case presentation
- 5 minutes to review questions that will be discussed in small groups
- 10 minutes for small group discussion
- 20 minutes for large group discussion, moderated by the presenter
- 15 minute wrap up/didactic lecture on this topic by the presenter
- The presenter will be asked to pose 2-4 questions regarding the case to the participants for discussion. The questions can pertain to any aspect of the case, such as exam, diagnosis, treatment, ethics, social support, etc.
- Each presenter is asked to prepare a 10- 15 minute didactic on the topic to be presented at the end of the hour. This presentation can include known research on the topic, how the case was ultimately managed, and/or resources on this topic.
- Each presenter will receive $100 honorarium for their webinar case presentation.