Think "CPR" for Lactation Supporters!
Our Outpatient Breastfeeding Champion (OBC) Course is a basic, clinically-focused course for any person who is a medical or community breastfeeding/lactation supporter. We provide instruction on how to answer the most common breastfeeding/lactation questions that a family will have throughout the course of lactation, into toddlerhood and beyond.
In addition, the Outpatient Breastfeeding Champion Course teaches the following skills:
- Telephone triage using breastfeeding and lactation triage tools designed for use with or without electronic medical records
- Evaluation of infant positioning and latch
- Instruction and supervision of breast pump use
- Measurement of pre-post feeding weights for infants
- Assessment of infant growth using standard growth curves
- Counseling families on breastfeeding and lactation
A wide variety of community breastfeeding/lactation supporters have found this course rewarding, including office nurses, medical assistants, nutritionists, public health nurses, doulas, midwives, peer counselors, social workers, health professional students (nursing, medicine, pharmacy), medical interpreters, and medical providers (physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants).
Every breastfeeding medicine physician or other provider needs OBC trained staff in their office!
Each Outpatient Breastfeeding Champion trainee who finishes the 16 hour course and completes a course evaluation will receive an IABLE Outpatient Breastfeeding Champion certificate. This course is accredited for 14.5 nurse contact hours, 14.5 CERPs, and 14.5 CPEUs.
There are 2 ways to attend this course: